On 6th January 2024, the price of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) in New Delhi stands at Rs. 76.59 per kilogram. CNG prices are influenced by the cost of natural gas, which is obtained from foreign countries and priced in dollars. CNG is a cleaner and more cost-effective alternative fuel compared to diesel and petrol. In this article, we will explore the benefits of CNG, the role of Indraprastha Gas Limited in distributing CNG in Delhi, and the disadvantages associated with using CNG.
In December 2023, the price of CNG in New Delhi was Rs. 76.59 per kilogram, with a price change of Rs. 1.00 compared to the previous month. The fluctuation in CNG prices is influenced by factors such as the value of the U.S. Dollar versus the Indian Rupee and the prices of natural gas in the global market.
About Compressed Natural Gas:
Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) is an odorless, clean, and non-corrosive fuel derived from compressing natural gas, which primarily consists of methane. It is a cost-effective and efficient alternative fuel that can be used to power various types of vehicles. CNG is stored and distributed in high-pressure containers, and it is an environmentally-friendly option for reducing pollution caused by traditional fuels like diesel and petrol.
Benefits of Compressed Natural Gas:
- Cost-effectiveness: CNG is a more affordable fuel compared to diesel and petrol.
- Cleaner emissions: CNG combustion produces fewer carbon dioxide emissions, contributing to reduced air pollution.
- Easy mixing in air: CNG mixes evenly and easily in the air, ensuring efficient combustion.
- Safety: In case of leakage, CNG does not pose a risk to the environment or contaminate groundwater, as it is non-toxic.
- Reduced noise pollution: CNG-powered vehicles operate quietly, leading to decreased noise pollution.
- Extended oil life: CNG does not contaminate lubricating oils, increasing their lifespan.
- Lower carbon monoxide emissions: CNG combustion emits significantly less carbon monoxide compared to petrol and diesel.
- Affordability: The cost of purchasing CNG is relatively lower than petrol and diesel.
- Flammability rating: CNG has a lower flammability rating compared to other fuels, making it safer to use.
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions: CNG burning results in lower greenhouse gas emissions compared to traditional fuels.
Indraprastha Gas Limited:
Indraprastha Gas Limited is the main distributor of CNG and Piped Natural Gas (PNG) in Delhi. Established in 1998, it took over the Delhi City Gas Distribution Project in 1999. The company caters to the rising demand for CNG in Delhi, especially in the transportation sector. With an emphasis on reducing pollution, the government has encouraged the use of CNG-based vehicles in the national capital. Indraprastha Gas Limited continues to expand its operations and increase compression capacity to meet the growing demand for CNG.
Disadvantages of CNG:
- Limited availability: CNG availability may be limited in certain cities, excluding Delhi, making it challenging to find fuel stations.
- Reduced boot space: Installing a CNG cylinder may occupy a significant portion of the car’s boot space, especially in hatchback cars.
- Decreased performance: CNG-powered vehicles generally deliver lower power compared to petrol-driven vehicles.
- Shorter range: CNG cylinders have less capacity compared to petrol tanks, leading to shorter travel distances before refueling.
- Queues at CNG stations: Due to the limited range of CNG cylinders, frequent visits to CNG stations may be required, resulting in long queues and waiting times.
1. Is CNG cheaper than diesel and petrol?
Yes, CNG is a more cost-effective fuel compared to diesel and petrol.
2. Does CNG reduce pollution?
Yes, CNG combustion emits fewer carbon dioxide emissions, contributing to reduced air pollution.
3. Is CNG safe to use?
Yes, CNG is a non-toxic fuel and poses no danger to the environment or groundwater in case of leakage.
4. Does using CNG increase the lifespan of engine oils?
Yes, CNG does not contaminate lubricating oils, leading to extended oil life.
5. How does CNG contribute to reduced noise pollution?
CNG-powered vehicles operate quietly, resulting in lesser noise pollution compared to traditional fuel-powered vehicles.